See video tutorials here.
Starting with v1.2.4, you can use role-based access controls to allow users in your organization to log in to Nerdio Manager for WVD (NMW) and control which actions they can perform once logged in.
There are five roles available:
- WVD Admin: A user with WVD Admin role has complete access to all areas of NMW. Only WVD Admins can manage users and roles in NMW.
- Desktop Admin: A user with Desktop Admin role has complete access to User sessions, ability to view Host Pools, power on/off/restart session hosts , but no ability to add/remove hosts or change any host pool settings. This role also allows full access to Desktop Images.
- Help Desk: A user with Help Desk role has access to manage Users sessions only.
- Reviewer: A user with Reviewer role has view access to all areas of NMW, they cannot make edits and save changes.
- End-user: A user with End-user role can view & manage their own sessions (Message, Log off, Disconnect). Personal desktop users can restart, power off and power on their personal desktops.
Let's look at how to manage users and roles in Nerdio Manager.
User and Role Management
Navigate to user and role management section of NMW by clicking "Users and Roles" from main menu. You will be taken to a screen similar to this one, where you will be able to view any existing users that can log in to NMW.
A few things to note about the Users and Roles screen:
- The search section at the top allows you to search by various fields, including name, username, role and WVD tenant.
- You can have the system list up to 1,000 rows on a a single page. This is particularly useful when you are looking at a list of end-users, which can get in to the hundreds or thousands quite often.
- Click the little arrow next to Edit button to reveal an action menu.
- Depending on the role, a NMW user will be granted RDS Owner, RDS Contributor or RDS Reader role to a WVD tenant. This information is listed on the screen under the WVD Tenant column.
Adding a user
To grant one or more users access to NMW, click the Add button.
- On the pop-up, select the role you want to assign to user. A tool-tip is available for each role describing the role.
- Search and select one or more users you want to grant access to.
- Select WVD Tenants these users should have access to.
- Click OK to save your changes.
The system will complete the task and log an entry to Logs. Review task status to ensure the task completed successfully.
Once access has been granted, users may login to NMW using their Azure AD username and password. Simply share the URL for NMW from your browser's address bar with the user. If MFA is being enforced, user will need to go through the MFA process while logging in to NMW.
Editing a user
To change a user's role or the WVD Tenants the user has access to, simply find the user, click Edit button and make changes in the pop-up window. Click OK to save changes. A task will be logged, review task status to ensure the task has completed successfully.
To disallow a user from logging in to NMW, simply find the user, click Remove access button and confirm the action you are taking. A task will be logged, review task status to ensure the task has completed successfully.