Upcoming version: v2.3.0 (expected: week of 8/9/2020)
- Split Azure AD tenant and multi-AAD tenant - split the WVD deployment between an "identity" Azure AD tenant (where user info resides) and multiple "session host VM" Azure AD tenants where the compute and storage infrastructure for VMs is deployed. One identity AAD tenant can have one or more VM AAD tenants with multiple Azure subscriptions linked to it.
- Auto-heal broken session hosts - auto-scale can automatically detect broken WVD session hosts and attempt to repair them by either restarting or deleting and re-creating the VMs without user intervention. Demo
- Desktop Image versioning - leverage native Azure backup to create versions of desktop images before making changes and easy revert to prior versions. Take a backup of an image while powering it on to modify or manually trigger a backup at any time. Demo
- Desktop Image optimizations - optimize images when they are created by applying settings such as time zone redirection and setting VM timezone. Automatically clean up previous WVD agent or FSLogix installs if importing the image from a session host VM. Demo
- Clone Desktop Image to another region - clone an existing desktop image to a remote Azure region by selecting its destination network. Same image can be cloned into multiple regions and used for session host deployment or re-imaging in those regions. Demo
- Static to Dynamic host pool conversion - automatically convert an existing host pool to a dynamic one and enable auto-scale without the need to recreate the host pool or redeploy session hosts.
- User sessions dashboard enhancements - see User Input Delay and Logon Duration information for host pools and individual users
- New Session hosts dashboard - visualize the utilization and performance of session hosts across many dimensions such as CPU, RAM, disk, latency, user input delay, logon duration, bandwidth, egress transfer, and more.
- Updated Sepago Azure monitor agent - new version (v25) that support user input delay and logon duration reporting. TLS1.2 support.
- UI Enhancements
- Select from multiple Windows 10 versions including 1909 and 2004. Demo
- Split SETTING page into three logically grouped sub-pages
- Export usage summary option to see highest named, concurrent and monthly active users by month. Demo
- References to WVD ARM object model are now GA and non-ARM is called Legacy
- Number of items per page settings are now retained when switching between host pools
- Prevent creation of Gen2 VMs using VM sizes that don't support Gen2
Current version: v2.2.0 (released 7/22/2020)
- Dynamic personal host pools - auto-scale personal/persistent desktops based on pre-set working hours. Power off desktop VMs automatically at the end of the day and power them back on the following morning. Users can power on/off their own desktop VMs with the End-user RBAC role. Demo
- Shared Image Gallery (SIG) - quickly create NMW managed Desktop Images from existing Shared Image Gallery (SIG) image versions without creating a VM first. Deploy or re-image session hosts directly from SIG images without the need to create a NMW managed Desktop Image first. Demo
- Custom Azure images - quickly create NMW managed Desktop Images from existing Azure customer images without creating a VM first. Deploy or re-image session hosts directly from custom Azure managed images without the need to create a NMW managed Desktop Image first. Demo
- RBAC role assignment by AAD group - assign both Azure AD groups and individual users to Workspaces with pre-defined NMW RBAC roles. Demo
- Per host pool costs and savings - see compute and storage costs and savings as a result of auto-scale over the past month for each host pool. Demo
- Per workspace and tenant costs and savings - see per named/active/concurrent user costs and auto-scale savings over the past month for each workspace and WVD tenant. Demo
- UI Enhancements
- Updates page shows who installed the last update and when
- Date range selector on usage export screen
- Show powered ON and total hosts per host pool in list
- Desktop Image descriptions containing "/" no longer causes an error
- Tenant/Workspace usage report formatting and column names updated
- Being explicitly added as an Owner to resource group used for Log Analytics is no longer required and owner permission inheritance from subscription is sufficient
- CPU and session data is now collected and stored for dynamic host pools by default
v2.1.0 (released: 7/2/2020)
- Multiple Azure subscriptions - single install of Nerdio Manager for WVD can now manage WVD resources in multiple Azure subscriptions. Demo
- Ephemeral OS disks - save on OS disk storage costs and increase performance with Ephemeral OS disks that can be used for WVD session host VMs. Demo
- Gen2 VM support - create Desktop Images and session host VMs using Gen2 architecture. Demo
- New User Sessions report - Real-time and historic view of user sessions statistics and individual user sessions and connections. Demo
- Monthly Active Users (MAU) tracking - in addition to named and concurrent users, you can now see Monthly Active Users over the past month. Demo
- Usage history export - download up to 6 months of raw usage data per Workspace and WVD Tenant.
- UI Enhancements
- Deep links to Azure objects throughout the product. Demo
- User sessions page enhancements
- Very long host pool names now wrap properly on the screen
- Desktop Admin role Azure actions now run the API context of App
v2.0.1 (released: 6/17/2020)
- Auto-scale savings history - view and analyze storage and compute savings produced by auto-scale engine relative to peak capacity. Savings can be viewed on a per host pool basis for any selected time range. Visible on the auto-scale history screen. Demo
- Azure Files deployment - automated creation of new Azure Files share (both premium and standard) with AD integration to store FSLogix profile containers. Demo
- Scale in aggressiveness - control whether hosts with active or disconnected user sessions can be scaled in after business hours. Demo
- Scale in to 0 active hosts - ability to have no running hosts after business hours and have pre-stage capacity bring hosts up the following morning. Demo
- Custom Azure tags - pre-configure customer Azure tags for all Azure resources associated with each host pool. Tags can be used for charge-back and cost allocation. Demo
- VM name re-use control - Added ability to turn off VM name re-use during automatic scale in and out operations. Demo
- UI Enhancements
- Split up Dynamic and Static host pools onto separate pages
- Added pagination and quick search to all screens with long lists of items
- Un-assign Workspaces to hide them from view for certain users Demo
- Default Desktop Image VM size is selected to be D2s_v3 instead of DS1_v2
- Graphical display of past 30 days of usage on WORKSPACES and WVD TENANTS screen after clicking on the values Demo
- Auto-scale now allows for pre-staging host capacity to include both turning on base capacity VMs AND creating new burst capacity VMs.
- Deleting desktop images that are not joined to the domain no longer tries to automatically disjoin from AD.
- Hosts manually placed into drain mode in auto-scale enabled dynamic pools will get lowest priority when scale out process needs to activate a host.
- Can now change session limit setting from Manage auto-scale screen when auto-scaling is turned off.
v2.0.0 (released: 6/1/2020)
NOTE: Global Administrator role required to enable ARM WVD Object Model
- Spring 2020 Update (ARM) object model support - enable management of WVD ARM object model. Use ARM only, non-ARM only or hybrid mode. Demo
- Sepago Azure Monitoring integration - deploy Azure Log Analytics and sepago session host VM agent to collect data. Configure custom Log Analytics workbooks and link them directly to Nerdio Manager for WVD navigation menu. Demo
- Dynamic host pool cost estimation - view real-time minimum and maximum storage and compute costs of a selected dynamic host pool configuration based on selected region, VM size, OS disk and host pool capacity. Demo
- Licensing model selection - ability to select Named user or Concurrent user licensing model on SETTINGS page. Demo
- UI Enhancements
- Counts of Active and Disconnected sessions are displayed on User sessions screen
- When restarting a host, allow control of logging off users are forcing VM to restart without logging off users first
- Display user sessions for those users who do not have a UPN being recognized by WVD management service.
- Added Sunday-Thursday work week selection to Pre-stage host capacity configuration setting.
- Microsoft.NetApp resource provider error no longer comes up on SETTINGS page when this provider isn't registered in the subscription.
v1.2.4 (released: 4/28/2020)
- 64GB OS disk support
- WVD API limit mitigation
- Azure AD cache filtering
- Bulk host association
- Win7 support
- Desktop Image cloning
- Auto-scale history visualization
- Export task logs
- Support for multiple networks (VNets), Regions and Resource Groups
- AD cache optimizations
- Ability to specify local admin credentials for newly created Hosts and Desktop Images