This KB article will guide you through the process of installing Nerdio Manager in your Azure subscription. By following this guide, you are registering an Enterprise Application in your own Azure tenant, in a subscription that you select and into a new resource group. Once the install is complete, you’ll gain access to a URL and be able to login to Nerdio Manager web application.
Nerdio Manager is installed and billed through the Azure marketplace. The installation process can be broken down in to four phases:
- Confirm you meet the prerequisites before you start installing Nerdio Manager
- Install NMM application from Marketplace listing
- Initialize installation with an Azure CloudShell script
- Configure settings and register your install with our licensing system
Phase I - Prerequisites
Let's get you ready to start installing:
- Log in to Azure portal as a Global Administrator before starting the install process.
- You must be subscription owner of Azure subscription where you will install Nerdio Manager from the Azure Marketplace.
- The Azure subscription must be able to deploy Azure SQL, Web Application, Key Vault, Application Insights and Automation account in the Azure region you select during the install process
- You must have a virtual network and subnet available to deploy AVD session
host VMs. You will be prompted to select this virtual network and subnet during the
- You must have Windows Active Directory or Azure AD DS deployment accessible from
the virtual network where AVD session host VMs will be deployed. The custom default
DNS server setting specified on the virtual network subnet must be pointing at a DNS
server that is AD-aware.
- Windows Active Directory must be synchronized with Azure AD.
- You need an Active Directory user account with rights to join and un-join VMs from
domain. This user account must be able to create computer objects in at least one OU
in AD domain and be able to disable these computer objects.
- You need an SMB file storage location for FSLogix Profile containers. This SMB share can
be on a file server VM, Azure Files, Azure NetApp Files or any other location accessible
via a UNC path (e.g. \\server.domain.local\share\profiles). Server name must be in
FQDN format. This file share must be in Azure in the same region as the AVD session
- Microsoft Desktop Virtualization resource provider must be registered in your Azure subscription.
Phase II - Install from Marketplace
- In the Azure portal, search for "Nerdio Manager" and select it from the Marketplace section.
- Click the Create button to start the installation process.
- Provide the following information:
- The Azure Subscription where you want to install NMW
- Create a new Resource group where NMW will be installed
- Select the region closest to you, or a majority of admins at your organization that will use NMW
- Click "Next" button to move to next screen
- Confirm your selections and click the "Create" button to kick-off the deployment.
- You will see a confirmation screen that the deployment is in progress. The deployment will take about 10 minutes.
- Once the deployment is complete, the screen will say "Your deployment is complete". Click the Go to resource group button.
- Locate the App Service and click on it.
- Click the Browse button or URL to navigate to your install of Nerdio Manager. You are now ready to move to the next phase in the installation process.
Phase III - Initialize NMW install
- Click Copy button to copy PowerShell command and click Launch Azure Cloud Shell button. It's important you leave the page open as you will refresh the screen once the script has finished running.
- If required, select PowerShell (not Bash) and create a storage account for the shell history.
- Paste the PowerShell command and press Enter key to execute the command.
- You will see several commands flash by. The PowerShell script will take about 10 minutes to run.
- Once the script has completed, you will be returned back to the prompt and will see a "Deployment completed successfully" message.
- You can click the URL in the confirmation message or flip back to the open tab & refresh screen. You are now ready to move to the next phase in the install process.
Phase IV - Configure settings
The application is now installed; the next step is to configure various applications settings. You will now see a screen like this:
In the previous steps you already provided certain settings. The items that are done will be checked off, and the steps that need your attention will be unchecked. As you complete each step, the system will automatically check-off that step for you.
The following five steps need to be completed:
Note: you don't have to provide all settings at one time, you can safely return to this page at any point. Your settings will be retained and you won't need to enter the settings again.
Click Done to move on to granting consents:
- Click the provided link
- Accept consents
- Check box on previous page that it's done
- Click OK
- If any error comes up, repeat the process. It sometimes takes several minutes so you can re-try it a few time until the consents are validated
The installation is now complete! You are ready to start using Nerdio Manager.